List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antlarr () arrakis ! es>
Date:       2000-10-30 15:36:25

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer escribió:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Matthias Elter wrote:
>
> > >     name=KMail
> > >     category=Mail client
> >
> > 1) Fixing all desktop files is work and even more for the translators.
>
> This can be a gradual process. If no category field is present, it will
> look just like it always did.
>
> > 2) There is no support for "Category" in the desktop file standard.
>
> Adding an extra keyword won't break anything trying to read the desktop
> files - we should probably discuss this with the GNOME guys and others
> using desktop files, though.

This idea is probably the best I've read in this thread,
but I think this thread has gone quite crazy.

We already have submenus in kicker, what are they used for ?
... Guess what ? ... to Categorize the applications !

We don't need a Category entry in the desktop files if we have
a good categories submenu structure. If we need that, it's because
the way we organize the menus is _bad_.

Think for example in this: We already have a submenu "Editors"
with all the editors, why don't we have a submenu "Mail Clients" ?
That's (IMHO) the logical way to do it and not writing a long
text with the complete hierarchical structure for each menu item.

If you're going to tell me that it's because there aren't
so many mail clients, well, we can always make kicker show submenus
with only one item in the parent menu, so that submenus always
have at least 2 applications.

What will we have next ? a submenu "Editors" and inside of it
items like "KWrite (Editor)", "KEdit (Editor)", "Emacs (Editor)" ?
That's absurd.

Also, saying that we should use descriptive names and then saying
KMail/Konqueror should be handled in a different way because they
have a "known" name is wrong (IMHO). This can only result in a
mixed naming scheme in the menus (and will force new applications
to have an "unkown" name forever as they will never be "known enough"
to be able to use it in kicker).

Thanks for listening,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez