List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Falk Brettschneider <gigafalk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-10-29 16:46:00

Michael Brade wrote:

> On Sunday 29 October 2000 12:09, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > Sunday 29 October 2000 12:51 wrote Falk Brettschneider:
> > > 'KMail    (EMail Client)'
> > > 'CoolMail (EMail Client)'
> I agree completely. That would be the way to go IMO.
>
> > Bad. This approach doesn't make it possible to removed the application name
> > in the common case that there is just one EMail client.
> No, that's not bad. I think even if there is only one Mail client, the K-menu
> should say 'Appname (EMail Client)'.
>
> Very often I search for an app and simply don't find it because there is just
> a description that is (for me!) not intuitive.

This discussion shows that there are two basical needs.
Users either search by a description or by real name.
Well, in general the search by description is half done by following the
submenu structure.
But it's not perfect, Matthias is right.

Well, considering both ones I would say that the best is if one can
configure it.
Maybe a Right-Mouse-Button click on 'K' popups a menu where I can switch
between both modes, the order by name and the order by description.

Bye,
  F@lk