List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Michael Brade <Michael.Brade () informatik ! uni-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2000-10-29 16:09:38

On Sunday 29 October 2000 12:09, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Sunday 29 October 2000 12:51 wrote Falk Brettschneider:
> > Matthias Elter wrote:
> > But I agree that application names often say nothing about what it
> > actually is.
> >
> > That's why I suggest to do it like this:
> > 'KMail    (EMail Client)'
> > 'CoolMail (EMail Client)'
I agree completely. That would be the way to go IMO.

> Bad. This approach doesn't make it possible to removed the application name
> in the common case that there is just one EMail client.
No, that's not bad. I think even if there is only one Mail client, the K-menu
should say 'Appname (EMail Client)'.

I definitely vote for showing the app name in *any* case in the K-menu. IMHO
the K-menu should contain the apps and thus the real names of the apps. If
there is a (sometimes really needed) description along the appname, that's
even better.

Very often I search for an app and simply don't find it because there is just
a description that is (for me!) not intuitive. And if I'd like, for example,
to start KGhostview I *always* stumble over 'PS/PDF Viewer'. Perhaps it's
just me, but I doubt it.

Also, 'EMail Client' does not sound like a KDE Application but just like any
app. Same goes for every other entry that does not have a 'K' in the name or
does not say 'KDE ...'

Ciao,
  Michael

PS: And I said that as a KDE user because I work with it 10 times as long as
I'm hacking on it.

--

       Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
             Linux however is `expert friendly'.