List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Matthias Elter <me () ns ! caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-10-29 10:59:47

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 12:51:35PM +0100, Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> Matthias Elter wrote:
> >
> A better solution IMHO is to have a standard entry which in this case
> would be "Mail Client" for KMail and add optional entries with a suffix
> like "Mail Client (Empath)" or "Mail CLient (Evolution)".
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to name it with its description, primary.
> Have you ever seen a menu item for instance called "Cool Drawing
> Application (Photoshop5.5)" on Win32? I don't think so.

Thats why the Windows Start menu sucks, too. Ask your mother what she will be looking for when \
she wants to start a mail client from the menu. And she wont reply "KMail".
> But I agree that application names often say nothing about what it
> actually is.
>
> That's why I suggest to do it like this:
> 'KMail    (EMail Client)'
> 'CoolMail (EMail Client)'

Why? KMail is our standard mail client, so "Mail Client" is just perfect. Suffixes are needed \
only for non standard apps. Or do you want to add entries like "Asteroids (KAsteroids)"?

> or to put the description in a tooltip on the menuitem.

Tooltips in menus are nonsence. Tooltips should provide additional information. If a novice \
user searches for a app to read their mail "Mail Client" is not additionl info but required \
while "KMail" is additional info.

Bye,
Matthias