List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Captions in KDE
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-10-29 9:10:00

> On Saturday 28 October 2000 14:50, you wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 October 2000 14:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > If konsole would set the session name as caption, or the current
> > > directory, we would end up with sensible captions like
> > > "/home1/bastian/cvs - Terminal"
> >

> Well, "Konsole" is the name of the app. The name of the application is not
> "Terminal". The application _IS_ a terminal. We don't have four programs
> called "IRC Client". We have programs called "KSirc", "KVirc" etc.

The first idea of captions in general was that we should have a caption like
"document name - application name". This makes sense. We should keep that.

The problem arises when the document name does not exist. A document name like
"KDE Mail Client" is just stupid. If the application chooses not the be document
driven (KMail, Konsole etc) the document name should be left out.
This would create captions with only the application name. (w/o the '-')

Application names in the captions do make sense, they allow us to identify what
application is started. This works two ways. People start something and _can_ find
out what application is actually started. (no the help menu does not work, ktip
does not have one for instance).  I can also identify if I am working with
a development version (lt-kword) or a installed version (kword).

So please keep the application name, like it is now, just change the applications
who use bad captions to leave away the document name (or use sensible ones, like
konqueror does)