List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Captions in KDE
From:       Daniel Naber <daniel.naber () t-online ! de>
Date:       2000-10-28 14:21:04

On Saturday 28 October 2000 16:14, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> The classic example is KMail. Do you believe a user who uses KMail also
> uses another graphical mail client at the same time? I don't think so.
> So why not simply show "Mail" in the caption, isntead of "KMail"?

Because advanced user might later want to call apps from the command line.
I know that KMail can be called with "kmail", but I will not know this for
many other more exotic apps if they don't show their name in the caption.

What if I want to start Kandalf's tips from command line? I can't, I don't
know the "real" name. Also I cannot easily learn it because if I start it
via the menu, it doesn't show it either.

What you're suggesting is basically a disadvantage for the power user
without a real advantage for the beginner. Why should one have a problem
with KMail showing "KDE Mail Client - KMail"?

(You say that this has been agreed on long ago, so feel free to ignore me)

Regards
 Daniel