List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    RFC: Applications names and translations
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-10-28 12:07:52

Hi,

I'm currently updating the styleguide and code to simplify the terminology
used in the "settings" menu.

Some time ago the French translation team contacted me regarding some
strings in KSysV: I just inserted the - translated - app name in some
strings.

Example:

i18n("%1 has been developed by Peter Putzer").arg(appname)

They told me this is a problem because sometimes a name needs to be flexed
in another language, and that doesn't work with the "static" translation
of the appname. The solution would be to explicitely insert the appname
everytime.

i.e.:

i18n("SysV-Init Editor has been developed by Peter Putzer")

As I now intend to change "Preferences..." to "Configure <appname>...", is
this a problem for translators?

If it is, what about "About <appname>..." in "Help"?

regards,
Peter