List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Small branch survey
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-27 16:55:45

On Friday 27 October 2000 01:26, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > This is one of the places KDE is f*cked up. Almost all projects add
> > features first, go through a couple releases, and then update
> > translations when they are ready. Only KDE freezes things and stops up
> > the whole development process waiting for translations.
>
> I guess about everybody already agreed that 2.0 was the last time we
> did it that way. OTOH, quite a few contributors here seem to declare
> themselves against translation branches like 2.0.1, 2.1.1 and so on as
> well. So I would like to know when and how translations and
> documentations are supposed to be done? IMO, there is no other way than
> such branches.

I see three ways to make the problem more manageble:

1) Release more often so that the amount of new translations per release is
less
2) Maintain a message freeze for a short period of time (e.g. 1 month as
opposed to 4 months)
3) Use a 2.x.1 branch to continue translations after a release.

2.0 has been a pain in the ass, but once we manage to make releases once 2 or
3 months it's my belief that most problems will disappear.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
KDE/Linux, you make the choice.