List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Bin compatibility question
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-10-27 0:12:53

Hi,

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > This even happened to me, so I know it's the case :)
> > Not sure what it means in terms of vtable - the implementation side is
> > not my area :)
>
> Hm.. guess the compiler tries to be smart and save a vtable lookup.

Ahh, yes, with another livel of indirection (a child class C of a class B
reimplementing a virtual method of a superbase class A). Here calls to
C::m can be hardwired to A::m (in the old lib) or B::m (in the new lib
reimplementing A::m in class B), so the app using only C::m would call
A::m with the old and B::m with the new lib, unless recompiled, when it
uses B::m, and fails to link against the old library.
Hmm, yep, now I see the connection with the hint on kde2arch ;-)

Ciao,
Michael.