List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Small branch survey
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-10-26 17:59:50

On Thursday 26 October 2000 17:56, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Thursday 26 October 2000 18:39 wrote Harri Porten:
> > Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > >
> > > I have kdelibs of the 2.0 branch checked out but I don't expect to do
> > > much bugfixing in that branch. (Unless it's a matter of adding "m_cacheId
> > > = 0;")
> >
> > Well, such a little fix can have immense positive consequences already
> >
> > :)
> >
> > Seriously, I strongly urge everyone to target at a new release *soon*.
> > No matter if it's called 2.0.1 or 2.1.
> >
> > With the current rate of bug reports coming it's no great fun to be
> > listed in Maintainers or being subsribed to kde mailing lists (or hang
> > out on #kde). Unsubsribing or filtering to /dev/null is no option for me
> > as I *want* to improve the quality. If we wait until March or whatever
> > we'll have a ridiculous bad SNR of bug reports (thousands of
> > distribution users reporting 2.0 being fixed in the CVS for a long time
> > already).
> >
> > It's probably not a secret if I admit that I'd been very happy if we
> > hadn't branched yet. IIRC Linus waits for x.x.1 releases first as well
>
> I totally agree. To me it seems, more bug fixes actually go into HEAD right
> now.

This is what is supposed to happen !!!!!
The branch was asked by translators. It's mainly for releasing a fully translated
version of 2.0.
The development (including most bugfixes, because most bugfixes are never really
guaranteed to be 100% safe) is done in HEAD. Only critical bugfixes go to the branch,
those that are guaranteed not to break something else.

If you wanted a branch for stabilising 2.0, we should have decided that way. But
that's not what was decided - we all hate branching the development.

Did you actually read kde-core-devel before ?

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/