List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: browsing my LAN...
From:       aleXXX <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-25 19:44:32

On Wednesday 25 October 2000 21:53, David Faure wrote:
>On Wednesday 25 October 2000 14:54, aleXXX wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> I attached a screenshot of konqy with my lan-ioslave. This ioslave
>> contacts lisa (the LAN Information Server), which should be run as root.
>> The ioslaves (kio_lan and kio_rlan) should be stable enough for kdenetwork
>> (or kdebase), both are currently in kdenonbeta.
>
>Looks good. Some comments :
>
>- Why is "lisa" missing from kio_lan/Makefile.am (SUBDIRS) ?

Since I am not sure if this is the right place for lisa and resLisa. Actually
both are completely independent from KDE, they would better fit into
kdesupport, maybe, I don't know.

>- It would be better if lan:/ would say "start lisa as root" instead of
>"can't contact to localhost".

I'm not sure how to handle this.
There are two versions, lisa and a restricted one, resLisa.
For resLisa this is planned, but IMO lisa should be installed and started
explicitely by root, since it has to be suid root (for opening the raw
socket) and then provides a service via TCP, where everybody (who is allowed
to), but potentially everybody can access it. So admins might not like it if
their users start suid root apps which are open to the network.

>- Hmm, trying to run lisa as root gives me :
>
>main starting, dropped root privileges
>main(): port: 7741 file:
>NetManager::NetManager
>main: NetKnife created
>configfile not found
>
>and then it exits :(

Hmm, I have to write better docu, it seems.
Well, to make it short:
if you start lisa without options, it will first look for $HOME/.lisarc, then
for /etc/lisarc.
Try lisa --help for more info.
There is an example config file included and I think the README should
already help a little bit.

>As to kdebase vs kdenetwork..... I know that all kioslaves are currently
>in kdebase, but I start to think that the more we have that are really
> network oriented, the more they should be in kdenetwork. We already
> wondered about kio_finger,

I just tried it, it's nice :-)

>Don't know. Drawing a line is always difficult....

IMHO most ioslaves belong to kdenetwork, file could stay in kdelibs, and man,
info and so on fit well in kdebase.

Bye
Alex