List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: replace KDOC with Doxygen after 2.0 (fwd)
From:       Andre Charbonneau <yoamwmvs () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-10-23 20:55:02

Peter Putzer wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Richard Moore wrote:
>

> > Peter Putzer wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, since we're basically past 2.0 at this point, I restate my earlier
> > > proposal to scrap KDOC for Doxygen.
> > >
> > > Oh, and if I remember the changelogs correctly, .kidl support has been
> > > implemented in the meantime :)
> >
> > Ok, issues:
> >
> > - Can we force people to use the java doc syntax? I think
> > we should.
>
> Why? Actually I find the "LaTex" ("\command") syntax easier to read, but
> that's just a preference.
>
> > - Can we force people to keep their docs in the header files
> > not in the .cpp?
>
> You can't do that now. If I choose to document something in the .cpp (not
> that I would, but just in theory), who's there to stop me?
>
> > - Can we automatically get cross-referencing between kdelibs
> > and Qt?
>
> Yes.
>
> > - Can we automatically get cross-referencing between the docs
> > for an app and kdelibs/qt?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Personally I find kdoc fine, but recent versions of doxygen
> > are ok too. Older versions of doxygen had buggy HTML generation
> > and poor C++ parsing (even recent ones appear to barf on large
> > but valid files).
>
> And older versions (maybe even current ones, haven't checked in some
> time) of KDOC barfed on things like namespaces.
>
> > I don't really see too many gains from shifting to doxygen
> > though, what features does it support that are missing in kdoc?
>
> It supports so many more things, I can't list them all.

I agree with that... And one VERY important thing that makes Doxygen
attractive is the extensive and very well written ~90 page
documentation.  I'm currently using Doxygen and I am very happy to have
a decent reference when I need it most...

Cheers,
--
Andre Charbonneau
GNU/Linux Software Engineer (Globalization)