List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: HEAD openend
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-20 15:56:25

On Friday 20 October 2000 11:46, David Faure wrote:

> >> Time will tell. I see no point in speculating about whether or not a
> >> 2.0.2 release is needed. If a grave security hole is found in 2.0.1, We
> >> should make a 2.0.2 release.
> >
> >  Grave as in SSL certificates can be forged against konqueror?
>
> Well, this doesn't have to wait for 2.0.2, you can fix it for 2.0.1 :-)

  That depends on the release schedule.  I'm rather loaded down right now.
The problem is that we overwrite the security data for every part of the page
loaded.  This is very complicated however.  There are many many codepaths
because the user has to be able to configure which sites to accept
certificates from, and has to be warned about mixed SSL/NON-SSL pages.
There has to be a cache of seen certificates (which I have started (sort of))
so that we don't endlessly prompt the user on unknown CA's.  This would
ideally be a separate process, but it could also be done just in the scope of
each konqueror process, I guess.  Also there needs to be some logic to ignore
graphics files, because some sites load the graphics files from non-ssl.

--

George Staikos