List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: HEAD openend
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2000-10-19 16:33:17

Torsten Rahn <torsten@kde.org> wrote:
> > I *strongly* agree!  2.1 doesn't have to be perfect, only better.
> > Let's not let get too carried away just yet.
>
> A 2.1 around christmas is completely unrealistic.
> This would mean that we would have to start beta-testing in
> four weeks already.
>
> Better do a 2.0.2 release around that time or a release
> of filter-updates arts/kmail/knode or kwhatever -updates
> in a bunch around that time.

I thought 2.0.x was only for critical/docu fixes?  Whichever one is
released just fix some of these: KWin (more more KWM features,
Mosfet's new default), Kicker (external taskbar), bugfixes and
docufixes from 2.0.*, Konqueror fixes, sane KControl layout, arts
fixes, and a selection of stuff that people wanted in 2.0.  It doesn't
have to be *everything*, just as long as it's a progressive release
with localized fixes so that a 4-week freeze and beta test is never
necessary.  Do people have enough discipline to pull this off?

Maybe 2.1 is not the best of version numbers though.

This only refers to kdebase (and to a lesser extent kdelibs though
both should probably be released at the same time) and
docu/translation hell is not really taken into account here.

-N.