List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Next releases (Re: i18n freeze ?)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-19 14:36:35

Matthias Elter wrote:

> On Thursday 19 October 2000 16:23, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> (...)
> > Right. I see some things pending, we couldn't make for KDE 2.0
> > The taskbar outside of the panel, k[xi]kb, mosfet's and some
> > other stuff. This all requires bigger changes here and there,
> > but we're not going to change the framework. I would even say
> > we can release a 2.1 beta quite soon. But we shouldn't make
> > the same mistake again and discuss about translation freezes
> > when the source is ready to be released.
> > Take it - there are still over 4000 bugs open and there will
> > come more. If you release for 80 fixed a release, you're going
> > to kill many's people time because a release takes a lot of
> > resources.
> >
> > If Dirk says he wants to support bleeding edge users for khtml,
> > that's fine - after all khtml's API is rather well defined to
> > the outside of KDE, so it should be exchangable like we exchange
> > a Qt version.
>
> I think Matthias Ettrich's idea of a "fixed" feature todo list for 2.1 is
> very good. As we want to avoid changing the framework for 2.1 everybody
> should get his ideas for larger changes approved before hacking them into
> HEAD.
For larger changes this makes definitly sense, but how do you judge
larger changes from other?

A bigger problem I have is with kde-i18n. There all packages are
together and from a user's perspective you'd wish it contains all
released stuff when it's released. But I can't see this happening.
Anyone with a solution here?

Greetings, Stephan

--
... but you ain't had mine