List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Next releases (Re: i18n freeze ?)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-19 14:23:05

David Faure wrote:

> >> As David said: we have limited resources and our
> >> most limited resource is developer time. We better keep it in one
> >> branch and make KDE 2.1 even more stable.
>
> Did I say that ? Can't remember, but if I did, I agree with myself :-)
>
> Dirk Mueller wrote :
> >grr. how long will it take until 2.1 is released? I thought we wanted to
> >avoid such monster updates like 1.1.2 -> 2.0 from now on.
>
> YES, we want to avoid that.
> I think what we should all try to understand is that the version number
> "2.1" doesn't mean it has to be in 4 months. It can be a LOT before that.
> It's only up to us to not break it, i.e. keep a high quality standard on the
> commits we do.
>
> >If you daily read an i.e. intranet web site and khtml doesn't show it
> >correctly, will you wait for 2.1 or will you rather just switch to something
> >else that just works?
> Either you'll update from the sources, or you'll update to 2.1 when it's out,
> because it's going to be available SOON.
>
> I see that everyone wants to commit stuff to the 2.0.1 branch because "it's
> going to be released long before 2.1, so we want our code out". If we start
> doing that, let me state again that it will be a huge mistake (duplicate efforts,
> maintainance hell, etc.).
> Leave that branch to the translators and documentation writers, and develop
> in HEAD, _without_ thinking it's going to take ages before being out. I think
> the only point of the 2.0.1 branch is that we can release it when the translators
> are happy with it, not when the developers will have stopped their hacks on it.
> As soon as it's out, they can switch to HEAD, we can bugfix it a bit more,
> and we can release it as 2.1.
>
> > Harri just wrote:
> >So KDE 2.0 is perfect and we'll skip maintainance releases going
> >straight into the version ? Or is 2.1 going to be the release fixing the
> >missing and broken features ?
>
> In my eyes, 2.1 will be the bugfix release for 2.0. As much as possible of the stuff
> that is currently missing or broken will be solved in that release.... It doesn't mean
> it has to be in 6 months !!!!!!

Right. I see some things pending, we couldn't make for KDE 2.0
The taskbar outside of the panel, k[xi]kb, mosfet's and some
other stuff. This all requires bigger changes here and there,
but we're not going to change the framework. I would even say
we can release a 2.1 beta quite soon. But we shouldn't make
the same mistake again and discuss about translation freezes
when the source is ready to be released.
Take it - there are still over 4000 bugs open and there will
come more. If you release for 80 fixed a release, you're going
to kill many's people time because a release takes a lot of
resources.

If Dirk says he wants to support bleeding edge users for khtml,
that's fine - after all khtml's API is rather well defined to
the outside of KDE, so it should be exchangable like we exchange
a Qt version.

Greetings, Stephan

--
... but you ain't had mine