List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n freeze ?
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-19 11:34:12

On Don, 19 Okt 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> If you think, that will change the bugreport situation I have to call
> you dreamer. If Suse 7.x ships with KDE 2.0 as default desktop, user
> won't care if there is a KDE 2.0.8 on ftp.kde.org.

Yes, maybe. maybe not. In my experience most bugreports come from bleeding
edge users, that always use the newest stuff everywhere. we cannot do much
about those who still use KDE 1.0 etc. I care about those who are WILLING to
provide useful bugreports. I can't care about those who are unable to
understand how software updating works. You're lost with those in any way.

Nevertheless I know its not the IDEAL solution, but its better to provide at
least updates than doing nothing at all. Most people have learned already on
how to search for updates. And I don't think its too difficult to tell the
packagers to update their rpms (which get distributed via their channels
then) once we release an update.

> kdelibs only. I would rather suggest disgarding all bug reports against
> old installations. For example in 4 weeks we would stop all bug reports
> against KDE 2.0.

you mean "pre-KDE 2.0" I assume?

> As David said: we have limited resources and our
> most limited resource is developer time. We better keep it in one
> branch and make KDE 2.1 even more stable.

grr. how long will it take until 2.1 is released? I thought we wanted to
avoid such monster updates like 1.1.2 -> 2.0 from now on.

If you daily read an i.e. intranet web site and khtml doesn't show it
correctly, will you wait for 2.1 or will you rather just switch to something
else that just works?

Dirk