List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: i18n freeze ?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-10-19 10:45:10

On Thursday 19 October 2000 10:37, Stephan Kulow wrote :
>Dirk Mueller wrote:

>> > The whole i18n issue is a bit tricky these days.
>> > I disabled the snapshot generation for some time,
>> > as I'm not sure what comes out of the branching
>> > effort. What is clear to me is that I won't merge
>> > within a branch. That means, your changes won't
>> > affect translations before 2.1 - and for this we
>> > do not have a translation freeze
>>
>> I was just wondering if I can add 2 small strings (2 words each, 4 words
>> total) to a kcontrol module without being immediately killed by translators.
>>
>> Is branching already done? currently all commits go to HEAD, so they won't
>> be in 2.0.1 if we're really going to use a branch for 2.0.x
>
>>From
Still this KMail bug (prepends a ">" before From) :)

>what I understood, 2.0.1 is 2.0 with crash fixes and improved
>translations/documentation. So better don't add any new stuff there
>and concentrate on making 2.1 even better

Yes, I think that's the plan.

The branching doesn't appear to have been done (there's only a
release tag, but not a branch), but I don't think this matters
(the branch can be created from the release tag, right ?).
This means, the development can start again in HEAD.

> without any freeze (beside binary compatiblity - don't know :)

Yes, please stick to binary AND source compatibility for kdelibs (*)
(as well as what I call "behaviour" compatibility). A KDE 2.0 application
must run fine on top of kdelibs 2.1.

(*) For everything else than kdelibs it doesn't matter, of course.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/