List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdDebug modifying value ?? [Re: kio_http bug, introduced by a feature yesterday.]
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-10-18 0:04:59

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 October 2000 22:47, Dawit Alemayehu wrote :
> >On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >No need to blame anyone.  I was just as surprised by what I got, henece
> > the "?" in my subject.  It seemed weird  to me, but that is exactly what
> > happened to me.  I put that debug statement there to see if the user()
> > field was set or not to begin with.  And it works perfectly.  However, if
> > you follow the steps I have outlined above on the second iteration the
> > statement that checks whether user() is empty fails !!  That is the
> > (!m_request.url.user().isEmpty()) part in openPassDlg returns false.
> > Don't know why, but it does.  The weird thing is that if I comment the
> > debug statement out, I get the correct result all the time!!!  This is
> > why I asked this question.  Anyways,  I have commented the debug
> > statement out since it is no longer needed, but it was just a weird
> > problem for me...
>
> In any case, using hasUser() seems better than .user().isEmpty() to me, but
> I suppose the former calls the latter anyway :)

Right.  Forgot about those boolean methods in KURL when I did that...

> When a debug statement changes something, it means there is some memory
> corruption somewhere - or you just confused by something....

I think something must be getting corrupted.  I mean you can try this by un-commenting
the debug statement.  It is reproducable at least on both the machines I tried this on...

> PS: unrelated... Is it normal that I can't make a google query containing a
> '.', using gg:blah.blah ? It resolves that into a short-url (something like
> http://ggblah.blah which looks wrong to me).

Hmmm... good question.  Ah I know why this happens.  The code that checks for a possible
shortURL in KShortURIFilter thinks it got a valid short URL because of the the dot in your
query part and filters it as such.  Since this filter gets precedence over the other filters, your
entry never gets to the search-engine shortcut filter.  Will fix in a few...

Regards,
Dawit A.