List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: patch: KURL
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-10-09 23:41:00

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000, Dirk Mueller wrote :

>>On Mon, 09 Okt 2000, David Faure wrote:
>
>> Oh, I didn't know we still had a m_strMalformed......
>> KURL was made to use m_strProtocol in order to save one member variable
>> (it's not possible to have an invalid url and a valid protocol/path/host etc.
>> at the same time, so having separate member variables is definitely a waste
>> of memory).
>
>hmm. its probably not much memory wasted.. ok, I undo that change now. we
>can use the wasted QString for caching later. and happily a QString as
>exactly the size of void* :-)
>
>cool, so we can keep the BC this way :)

Yup, that's pretty cool !

>> koshell_shell.cc:          name = rootDocument()->url().filename();
>> Just one example (for which I'm guilty :-).
>
>hmm, and you really use that although it prints out a kdDebug warning???

Guess what, I wrote that code at at time where it didn't give a warning !

>> And there are many apps that are NOT in CVS, and I'm sure the authors would be pretty
>> pissed off if right before 2.0 they didn't compile anymore. We've been promising a freeze
>> in kdelibs (at _least_ the API !!) for some time now.
>
>Hmm, I doubt that they want to use a function that prints out a warning
>each time you use it..

Same for them - there are usually more important bugs to fix than catching up
after someone's spelling of the day for filename().
(I find this change pretty stupid given that we have filename() in other places in
the KDE API, like KDesktopFile and KConfigBackend - and KTempfile uses name()).

>again revised patch..

Looks good to me, please apply.
Just surprised by the bool m_bIsMalformed : 1, I thought it had to be an int to be
used in a bitfield, but I was probably wrong about that :)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/