List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: patch for arts on ppc
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-10-07 0:41:05

   Hi!

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:50:36PM +0200, Thomas wrote:
> Sorry to reply to my own email, but I just finished compiling
> kdemultimedia and found some irritating stuff.
>
> The startup sound actually works OK with this patch, which is why I
> sent the first email.
Great.

> There are the following problems on ppc:
> - kaiman only does static (really loud), because this patch finally starts
>   artsd, the problem may lay elsewere.
> - xmms does not work anymore when artsd is running (it completely freezes)
>
> Therefor we don't really have a gain..
>
> I'm quite ignorant about sound, so I can sparsely help on this topic :(

This sounds like a byte order issue. From the way you describe it, and looking
at the sources, I would say it is this:

/home/stefan/src/kdemultimedia/mpeglib/lib/splay/mpegsound.h

  void putraw(short int pcm) {rawdata[rawdataoffset++]=pcm;};

It needs to be swapped, either here, or later when rawdata is read (what is
better I can't say offhand, maybe Martin should have a look), so try something
like

  void putraw(short int pcm) {
  	rawdata[rawdataoffset++]= ((pcm & 0xff) << 8) | ((pcm >> 8) & 0xff);
  };

there also needs to be an #include "config.h", and and a test whether
WORDS_BIGENDIAN is defined. I think it would be great if somebody could
post a suitable and tested patch, which we could integrate then.

   Cu... Stefan