List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: BUG: netscape plugins
From:       Stefan Schimanski <sts () caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-10-02 0:18:57

Am Sun, 01 Oct 2000 schrieb Matthias Ettrich:
> Netscape plugin (for example acrobat reader for pdf) works when being used
> over ftp or http. It doesn't work (reproducable) for a pdf file on the
> local machine  ( file://bla/blub/foo.pdf). Acrobat Reader starts but only
> shows an error messagebox (something with file not found).

I will check this in a minute.

> Another thing that bothers me is that the nsplugin swallows the entire
> kwin decoration. The result looks like MDI but behaves rather strangely.
> Netscape has the same bug, I tried to fix it in kwin (that means: hack
> around it in kwin) but failed so far. I have no clue what either netscape
> or konqueror are doing.
>
> Anybody an idea? How does nsplugin determine the window id that is supposed
> to be swallowed? It seems to know it somehow via Xt. But why is it
> necessary top show the window first and then swallow it? Is netscape doing
> that to get more flicker or just to slow everything down? But why does
> konqueror do the same?

konqi create the nsplugin kpart that embed the nspluginviewer with QXEmbed.
nspluginviewer passes its window id to the plugin. The Acrobat plugin seems
to start another nice process and embeds the Acrobat main window into the
passed window. In German you call this i18n("Von hinten durch die Brust ins
Auge") ;-)

> Matthias

Schimmi