List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Kword status report.
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-09-29 11:35:48

KWord status report.

As we are going to ship Kword next week here is a brief status report.
First: I do think we should ship KWord, despite existing problems. If only
to show the world what we have and to attract new developers.

KWord uses an instable text-editing codebase which is simply outdated. People
will probably get crashes when manipulating text in any way other then simply
typing and moving cursors. This is set to change soon with the help of the Trolls.

KWord asks X for font sizes, there is the known problem on X4 that the fonts
are WAY to big and thus less text will fit per page.

KWord's frames have been polished and there will be little problems on stability.
There is a case of missing functionality (copy of frames does not work, some
features are not in the GUI)
We also have the floating frames. I have not been able to get them 100% working,
all the needed functionality is in there but redrawing is a mess.
Tables work quite well.

Known mayor bugs: (the ones we will receive bug reports about from 10% of the users)
- Printing sucks. (fonts problems mainly)
- Pictures need complete reworking.
- There is the known problem that selections on text have problems (read: crashes a lo
t)
- Reconnect frames dumps sometimes.
- Undo/redo is not usable.
- The menus will not be understandable to the first time user. The need a redisign.
- lots of redrawing errors
- Clipboard is not really usable.
- Frames that fall outside the page can not be moved (happens with tables a lot)
- Kword crashes if you close it and you had a formula part in there.
- HTML load/saving is: well..not really usable.

And probably more (look at bugs.kde.org)

Luckely I recently got the status of KWord maintainer. (Sigh :)

For any interrested people take a look at the koffice/kword/TODO file, it
now contains a long term strategy in the style of milestones.

Thanx.