On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Dirk Mueller wrote: > Matthias Elter schrieb am Mittwoch, den 27. September 2000: > > KDE 2.0.1 is intended to fix the most critical bugs the large user ba= se > > we will have as soon as it is adopted by the distributors will find. > > Problematic web pages are not critical. I can work with KDE even if > > kthtml can't render ww.foobar.com. I can't work with KDE if say kwin > > crashes every 2 hours on certain systems. > > And whats wrong with committing these to the head branch? > > > The KDE_2_0 branch wont live longer than a few weeks. > > Then we can live very well by reviewing feature patches before committi= ng > them. this way we can add new features and be sure to stay relatively > stable. > > I don't think its a good idea to open a bugfix branch because its just = too > likely that a change to the bugfix branch isn't correctly transfered to= the > HEAD branch or vice versa. CVS isn't really suited for working on diffe= rent > branches at the same time. Hm? You have to react very fast on security exploits. How do you expect t= his=20 to work? An exploit is found, we commit a fix to the semi-stable HEAD and= =20 freeze HEAD for two weeks to be able to release a semi stable version? As I said, this is not about branching developement and this is not about= =20 dividing resources. The bugfix branch is used to be able to react fast on= =20 ciritcal bugs or security holes. And as there hopefully wont be to many o= f=20 them so it should be easy to apply them to both HEAD and bugfix until we=20 release 2.1. > > it's only purpose is to release a version of KDE 2.0 that fixes "show > > stoppers" we find after the "show" (and we _will_ find some) fast. > > well, there might be a lot of "show stoppers" that are simple to fix > anywhere. Define the word "show stopper" please. As I said, bugs like www.blub.com = does=20 not render correct are no show stoppers. > > important to have that branch to be able to fix security problems peo= ple > > find in KDE 2.0 fast. Those of us who are paid to work on KDE by a > > company who is interested to have a 2.0.1 release soon after 2.0 (and= I > > bet all distributors are) _will_ have to commit fixes to the KDE_2_0 > > branch. > > I don't see the problem. those fixes can as well be committed to the HE= AD > branch, because HEAD isn't supposed to get unstable any more! We've had > this too often the last few years. Yes, but while we don't want HEAD to become really unstable as we aim for= =20 incremental releases, it wont be really stable, too. But for a release yo= u=20 have to make sure it _is_ stable and this involves a few weeks of freeze. > > Hm? Distributors will ship KDE 2.0.1, the fixed version of KDE 2.0 un= til > > we release KDE 2.1. What is your point? > > the point is that we agreed on releasing more often and releasing packa= ges > separately. Thats why we should branch. We can't release 2.0.X releases fast enough w= hen=20 we try to release them from HEAD. If we hard freeze HEAD to make 2.0.X=20 releases happen, this will slow down 2.1 developement. And yes, speaking = of a=20 2.1 relase I'm talking about kdelibs and kdebase. Seperate kdenetwork=20 releases for example are of course what we aim for, too. --=20 _____ ___ / __/____/ / Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH / /_/ __ / /__ Naegelsbachstr. 49c, 91052 Erlangen /_____//_/ /____/ Matthias Elter, email: me@caldera.de =3D=3D=3D=3D /_____/ =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D phone: ++49 9131 7192 300, fax:= ++49 9131 7192 399 Caldera OpenLinux http://www.caldera.de