List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Decision? (Re: About "Save Options" for toolbars)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-09-27 17:32:31

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Waldo Bastian wrote :
>On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Christian Gebauer wrote:
>> David Faure wrote:
>> > Sorry to come back to this topic...
>> > I know it's been decided already and it's in the style guide, but I now
>> > think that this "Save Options" thing for the toolbars is a bad idea.
>> >
>> > Reasons :
>> >
>> > * It's really not intuitive IMHO. Carsten and I are both surprised that
>> > the current style guide says "you need to explicitely save things" since
>> > we thought the decision (hmm, last year, maybe it changed since then) was
>> > "all changes are automatically saved".
>>
>> Ok, nobody complained, should we change this now? I would like to fix
>> KNode, kwrite and other applications.
>
>_When_ are changes saved automatically? When the change happens? When the
> window is closed?
When the change happens is probably the best (and it's fast now, thanks to
your speedy-KConfig).

Saving when closing the window with a dirty flag would be the more efficient.,
but it's also what leads to inconsistencies when launching a new window before
closing the current one, so I'm not for that solution.

>How are changes handled that are under control of the application?
>E.g. a splitter in the main-window?
This is not relevant to saveMainWindowSettings, is it ? In konqueror, this
is part of the profile...

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/