List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 release schedule update
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-09-26 13:07:20

Something not related to the name:

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Matthias Elter wrote:
> - March 2001 - HEAD will be moved to Qt3.0 which is scheduled for
> February/March 2001. This means that we will break kdelibs binary
> compatibility for KDE2 1.2, but this will happen anyway due to the new
> compiler ABIs.

I have one request /question here. Qt-2.x doesn't support hebrew/arabic. This
support will be added to Qt-3. I'd like to give people in Isral and arabic
countries as soon as possible the opportunity to actually use KDE and try out
the hebrew arabic support. As we (at Troll Tech) actually decided to stay
mostly source compatible, would it be possible to include some #ifdefs in the
KDE code to make it compile against Qt-3 more or less directly after KDE-2 is
released and Qt-3 is in a halfway stable state?

To make that clear: I *don't* want to move the whole of KDE development over
to Qt-3. I'd prefer if most of the people stick with Qt-2.x but we should
remember, that you can't use KDE in an arabic/hebrew environment until it is
based on Qt-3, and that we want to get these people as soon as possible into
using KDE (also because they might start using some other desktop environment
otherwise ;-) )

Lars