List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 release schedule update
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2000-09-26 11:40:41

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel <mhk@caldera.de> wrote:
> > The nameing sheme is not idiotic but honest. KDE2 1.0 will be the first
> > release of a new desktop that does not share more than the name with KDE 1.
>
> Yes, it is honest. It is not marketing-wise, but honest. Now
> make your choice :-)

Some of us call it KDE2 already, but never had the above versioning
scheme in mind.  ;)

And, KDE CVS is not as bad as that!  I've been using it for months.
It *is* KDE 2.0 and has been from the start.  That's honest and no
marketing ploy.  Don't be so ashamed of KDE 2.0 -- it's only going to
get better.  KDE 1.1.2 may be a *little* more stable and have features
in it that are missing from KDE 2.0, but that's no reason to drop KDE
2.0 as name.  KDE 2.0 is undoubtably a gigantic step up from KDE
1.1.2, and I could never go back to 1.1.2 now.

This situation is similar to Linux kernel 2.2.0 and Linux kernel
2.0.9999.  Some people weren't convinced of kernel 2.2 at the
beginning.  Except that there is no KDE 1.1.999, so what's the point?

I hope to see an updated Release Schedule v1.0.0.1 soon.  ;)

-N.