List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2 release schedule update
From:       Simon Hausmann <sh () caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-09-26 10:52:26

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 02:42:40PM +0200, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > - February/March 2001 - KDE2 1.1 release.
>
> Sorry, but who came up with this completely idiotic
> versioning-scheme?

Isn't it logic? What we currently have in our CVS contains
no code from KDE 1.x anymore. It's a rewrite, it's a new KDE,
it has nothing to do with KDE 1.x .

KDE 2.0 makes one assume that it "inherits" from KDE 1.x, that
it shares some code. But in fact that's not true. It's a new
start, it's a new generation of KDE which has nothing to do
with KDE 1.x.

Naming it KDE2 1.0 is honest. It's the first version/release of
a new desktop.

I personally vote for the "new" versioning.

Bye,
 Simon