List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KDE2 release schedule update
From:       Matthias Elter <me () caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-09-26 10:22:08

Hi

Due to the KOffice meeting the release process has been delayed a few days.
The KOffice meeting went very well, by the way. We spent all of the time on
bug fixing, both on KOffice and KDE core compenents. KDE is in a fairly good
shape by now and we agreed that it is time to draw a line now.

KDE2 v1.0 release schedule
--------------------

Mon 02/10
 - CVS tag KDE_2_0_RELEASE
 - cvs is effectively read-only now
 - the tag will be moved for _real_ show stoppers only
 - at least two core developers have to approve a show stopper fix
 - RC1 tarballs will be released

Mon 09/10
 - prepare KDE 2.0 final tarballs
 - release tarballs to the packagers

Fir  13/10
 - spread source and binary packages to the mirror sites

Mon 16/10
 - announce KDE2 v1.0
 - PARTY on irc.kde.org

Yes, this means that KDE2 is going to happen finally. After some discussions
at the meeting this weekend we came up with a rough post-KDE2 road map:

- Immediately after the KDE2 v1.0 release a KDE_2_0 branch will be created.
Fixes to this branch will be released as KDE2 1.0.X versions soon after the
1.0 release. The KDE_2_0 branch is not open for feature commits.

- The HEAD branch is open for feature commits after the 1.0 release. We
however maintain kdelibs binary compatibility. The base applications will
probably see the most significant improvements. We aim for incremental rather
than revolutionary improvements this time.

- February/March 2001 - KDE2 1.1 release.

- March 2001 - HEAD will be moved to Qt3.0 which is scheduled for
February/March 2001. This means that we will break kdelibs binary
compatibility for KDE2 1.2, but this will happen anyway due to the new
compiler ABIs.

- Summer 2001 - KDE2 1.2 based on Qt3.0

Bye,
Matthias