List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Speeding up kconfig.
From:       George Staikos <staikos () 0wned ! org>
Date:       2000-09-23 17:58:25

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Bo Thorsen
>
> > This is the one thing that Unix has always done right: text config files.
>
> Agreed. I just found a bug yesterday by looking at a KConfig-generated
> file. I hate the idea of using binary files for config, .desktop files or
> anything like that. It's just pointless.
>
> On the other hand, it would be great to have an ueber-fast storage system
> which works in a similar way to KConfig for storing things like kmail
> indices. It should just be called something else :)

   This is why I would like to have LDAP or Database functionality for
KConfig.  With these, you offload the processing time onto the other
process(es) and let the data storage experts worry about making it fast (and
if you use good software, they do make it fast).   We could really have a
nice and robust configuration class....

--

George Staikos