List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KNotify: Crash Prevention Fix
From:       Stefan Westerfeld <stefan () space ! twc ! de>
Date:       2000-09-23 12:51:16

   Hi!

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 05:19:24PM -0700, Charles Samuels wrote:
> The following patch prevents KNotify from buggin the user with KCrash, and
> most importantly, will allow knotify to work on a system without a
> functioning artsd.
>
> This is how it works:
>
> o knotify crashes
> o knotify's KCrashHandler intercepts this, and tries to write "don't play
> sounds" to it's kconfig file
> o knotify is restarted by KNotifyClient
> o knotify reads "don't play sounds" from the kconfig file
> o knotify ignores sounds events and doesn't even connect to artsd

Well, it shouldn't crash in the first place on a system without artsd. And
on the other hand, this sounds pretty destructive especially if these bugs
do get fixed (I take it that these crashes are some kind of bugs). Then the
user will not have sound and not know why.

So: I am against applying this. Connect artsd, if it doesn't work, do
something else. If it crashes, fix the bug in artsd, mcop, knotify or whatever
is guilty. But don't turn on a silent never-ever-do-sounds-again.

At least I don't want thousands of "I have no sound, and I don't know why"
bug reports.

   Cu... Stefan