List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Linking kdelibs with libqt-mt again
From:       Charles <charles () derkarl ! org>
Date:       2000-09-16 2:42:11

[snip]

I agree: we really do need thread support.

Who needs a reentrant Xlib, I agree with Rich: we don't :)

For thread support issues, I don't understand what the issue is in here.  If
all KDE libraries are always linked to qt-mt, then there's no problem.

For systems that have no pthreads (and no qt-mt), then they won't be able to
use software that needs to use threads, even if it did compile.  And we could
always do a config.h check if the programmer has a way to do the stuff
without threads.

khtml will really rock (moreso :) when we upgrade give it threading, and we
should bless as many platforms as possible with that.

Platforms that don't have a threadsafe libc (glibc) or pthreads suck, and
virtually all do. Or at least the important ones :)

For those systems that don't, the KDE libraries will be compiled without
qt-mt, so the software will not be linked to qt-mt, so they'll be just fine,
except for not being able to use threaded apps, which isn't an issue.

So, really, what's the reason we're not doing this? :)

--

Charles - charles@kde.org