List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: New kwin style update
From:       Antonio Larrosa <antonio () larrosa ! org>
Date:       2000-09-14 21:43:15

mosfet wrote:

> Torsten Rahn wrote:
> >
> > Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > >
> > > #if mosfet

> > > You know those funky both-in-and-out 2-pixel borders around the laptop
> > > style's buttons ? Well, perhaps drawing borders like that would look good.
> > > The button would look 'flat' normally and depressed when switched on.
> > >
> > > Er, time to draw something to illustrate the point...
> >
> > Completely different style from mosfets "pearl-buttons" (doesn't fit
> > together).
> > As mosfet already pointed out a user will hardly get the meaning of that
> > button. For KDE 1.x it was already hard to get the meaning -- with this
> > one users will hardly get it at all.
>
> Yep, ditto. Actually the first thing that came to my mind was something
> like the Motif checkbox "diamond", but neither show what the control is
> for.

What about a clip (one of those small metal things that are used to get
papers together) that gets around the titlebar ? (as if it were getting
the window together with the desktop)

The problem would be how to draw it when the window is not sticky.
Perhaps the best would be to draw it small (just as a normal button)
when it's not sticky, and when the user clicks on it, then it's
made big, and it gets the window

Something like this :
       _
     _/ /
    ////
   ////
  /  /
  --

(Yes, I don't have gimp, and I'm not good at painting :) )

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa Jimenez
KDE Core developer