List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror and view profiles
From:       Sven Radej <sven () beta ! fdns ! net>
Date:       2000-09-14 16:37:05

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, David Faure wrote:
>Here's the problem: http is a really bad protocol. It gives no guarantee on
> the resulting mime type, you have to start a connection to find out what
> you'll really get. That's why KMimeType::findByURL now only says "no idea"
> for http urls, because there's no way to make sure. The worst case we found
> was a webcvs url, ending with .jpg or .png, and in fact pointing to an HTML
> page describing the logs for the given image.

Donīt we check from contents what do we get? I have two .desktops one
pointing to http://www.kde.org, other to
http://www.kde.org/img/logos/main7.gif

When I click on them, konqueror knows what to do: open new konqueror or start
pixie. "All" it has to do in case of text/html is to load webbrowsing profile
when creating new konqueror window.

>At some point, the check for whether to use the webbrowsing profile was
>"is the URL http ?". This means, if you click (MMB) on a link to an HTTP
> image, the webbrowsing profile has to be able to cope with it.
>
>BUT :
>* either you still have the default profile (empty), and everything works
> fine, the appropriate part is loaded
>* or you changed your webbrowsing profile, saved a URL into it as your
>preferred home page.... and in this case the profile has
> servicetype=text/html. It can then cope with html fine, but not with an
> image.  (->crash, IIRC).

This is what I think:
There are two ways of loading profile: implicit and explicit

explicit: user selected load profile from menu
explicit: kfmclient openProfile <profile>

implicit: konqueror loads profile webbrowsing because it got "http://..." url.

By implicit loading, konqueror should disregard any url or servicetype and
read only size, etc.

Question is: can konqueror tell implicit from explicit load?

>>I miss the system kde1 had: kfm was able to save desired window sizes for
>>each location in .directory (if writable by user) or .kdelnks (if found in
>>bookmarks or desktop), and use it when creating a new window.
>> Implementation (btw, I wrote it) had many flaws, and was a last minute
>> hack, but I really think that it is the way to go, together with view
>> profiles.
>
>I remember your last minute hacks, yes :-)
Yes, you have been fixing the mess I did by implementing this. However, it
wasnīt as bad as... how was it called? "common view for local and global
applnk directory".

>My opinion is that this way of doing things doesn't apply to konqueror,
> because of the multiple views feature. If you have 3 views, and you open a
> directory that specifies a window size, should it be the window size, or in
> fact just the view size (leading to a possibly huge window ?).
None of it. Neither the window nor views would change sizes in that case. You
are browsing files within an existing window/view, not creating a new view.

>And the feature is kind-of hidden.... it can't be applied when browsing
> directories from a given window (who wants a window that constantly resizes
> itself ? even kfm didn't do that). So it only works when starting a new
> window on the directory, whereas view profiles can be loaded from an
> existing window.
Save-window-size-per-url would not be an alternative to profiles. It is
different feature which applies only to newly created windows.

For bookmarks, it applies only if you select a bookmark from
kdesktop-RMB-menu (or from kicker - I dragged bookmarks dir to kicker as
quickbrowser menu).

I agree that this feature was hidden in kfm.

>I prefer explicitely saving a profile for viewing a given directory,
> possibly with another directory on the left, a konsolepart and/or a
> dirtree, etc., and at _that_ point save the window size, as part of the
> profile.

  I have four directories/.desktops/symlinks on my Desktop: Home, Work,
Documents, Kde. When I click on them I just want to see whatīs in there.
  I want each of them to open with different size, with or without tree view,
with different backgrounds, etc.
  When I open them, I would expect them to be like they were when I closed
them last time. But thatīs against our style guide which requires explicit
action, so there was one : "Save settings for this url"

  I created those icons on desktop simply by dragging them from kfm, not by
creating new profile and defining .desktops with exec line "kfmclient
openProfile my-profile-forhome". My father wouldnīt know how to do it.
Profiles are for advanced users, not for beginers.

bye,
--
Sven Radej      radej@kde.org
KDE developer   Visit http://www.kde.org