List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Login & Logout Notif (sounds)
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-09-14 10:01:32

Don, 14 Sep 2000 wrote Rik Hemsley:
> #if Charles
>
> > > This patch (to kwin) allows login and logout knotify events.  The default
> > KDE sounds are enabled.  All other sounds are disabled.  It adds a couple
> > of new strings to be i18ned ( in the eventsrc).  I still think we should
> > use Ludovic Grossard's work for sounds.  But then, I also want to replace
> > our old legacy K logo :).
> >
> > There's one tiny bug.  It plays the exit sound just after you press
> > control+alt+delete, not when you hit the "logout" button.  I didn't fix
> > that because I'm sure someone who knows more about kwin could fix that in
> > about 30 seconds.
>
> Looks ok, please apply.
>
> Rik

I dissagree. While the patch looks right, it's actually at the wrong place.

I'm not sure why kwin has a slotLogout at all, probably because it was a
practical place to get the configurable keybinding in. But that slot does
 nothing, apart from calling kapp->requestShutDown(), which in turn calls

SmcRequestSaveYourself( mySmcConnection, SmSaveBoth, True, SmInteractStyleAny,False, True );

And here we go, the focus attention shifts to the session manager ksmserver :)

Charles, please look at the file shutdown.cpp in kdebase/ksmserver for the
right place to raise a EndSession event.

For the StartSession event, ksmserver also might be the right place, since KDE
isn't usable before it starts.

Look at server.cpp, function KSMServer::upAndRunning.
If msg == "session ready", you want to notify that the session started.

Good luck!

 Matthias