List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fragility
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-09-12 20:43:06

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Mario Weilguni wrote:
> > Well, enough of ranting. Actually, I wanted to use this time to do
> > some debugging. *Sigh*.
> >
> > Uwe
>
> Well, try to play with the dynamic linker as I do now. You will NEVER ever
> want to debug anything after that.

try to debug libtool ;)

> BTW, I was able to get ~15% improvements out of the dynamic linker and
> identified the "hot spot" where most time is consumed. It's getting really
> weird now, deep nested macros :-(

I too have traced/profiled/debugged ld.so some months (nearly a year) ago.
There wasn't really much one could do. The hashing function used for ELF
is not the best one for C++ mangled symbols, the comparing algorithm of
the mangled symbols is not very cool for long symbols (simply strcmp), and
the fact that it supports nested scopes of visibility and versions makes
it somewhat complicated to change the over-all structure to may be use
better tables. Mostly tweaks here and there to squeeze some percent out of
it, but no real time safer (like a change of O() class).

Still, if you find anything, I'm very interested ;-)

Ciao,
Michael.