List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    New kwin style update
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-09-12 19:51:33

Okay, since there has been several replies about the new kwin style I'm
going to summarize the important stuff:

1) Several people have stated they prefer the laptop based style, mostly
the same people who voted for it in Trysil. The thing is, most users
don't. I've gotten lots of mail and there is a whole thread on kde-user
about how the it looks absolutely horrible and has usability issues for
some people. I agree with them. The usablity issues can be fixed, the
fact that it doesn't look nice cannot - it requires a different style.
Several people have said they thought the style looks professional, most
users seem to think it looks ugly.

I am open to doing something different than what I coded so far, but the
current default has to go if we want an attractive KDE2.

2) People talked about button color several times, but that's
configurable so it's a non-issue. We can make it whatever we like in the
color scheme.

3) Tackat brought up the sticky button being on the left. It's a good
point, but I think the round button looks rather odd next to the icon -
that's why I put it on the right. Also most theme artists seem to be
putting all the controls on the right.

4) Matthias Ettrich brought up having the cool little bar on top of the
arrows. I like those as well but don't know if they will fit into the
round buttons. I'll give it a shot. Those are rather important since
they emphasize the directions of the arrows.