List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE fragile?
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-09-12 2:58:53

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > A only more-or-less reliable way to get such timing data (at least I did
> > this for KConfig) is to build Qt and everything with profiling information.
> > I also linked everything statically, without using the official build
> > system. Which was quite inconvenient.
>
> yep, same here, it's quite a hassle. if that could be supported by libtool
> or our autoconf magic...

The real hassle is, that gprof is not supported with shared objects.
There are other methods for gcc and profiling, e.g. gcov, and they work
somehow with shared libs, but the output is not really useful, esp.
because they don't measure time, but only coverage. Here even the best
build system can't do anything unless we build static. So is this, what is
wanted? What's not working with "--disable-shared --enable-static
--enable-debug --enable-profile" ?

Ciao,
Michael.