List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE fragile?
From:       Dirk Mueller <dmuell () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-09-11 23:56:56

Moin Michael!

> Anyway, does the attached patch (moving all the while(i<CHARSETS_COUNT)
> loops into QMaps) make a difference? (Review it careful, I did not test it
> much, esp. not the charsets aspects)

5.8% according to my measurements. lars patch made 2.4% here. you still use
QStrings and the QMap overhead is hitting you here, that's likely to be the
problem.

it might get faster if the name list would get dropped and instead do a
simple parsing of the string itself. but it probably doesn't matter much, as
it is done only once. in addition if Lars removes the need for setQFont then
QFontDatabase won't get initialized at all during startup (that should be
the biggest improvement we can get).

Dirk