List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       Simon Hausmann <sh () caldera ! de>
Date:       2000-09-07 16:22:31

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:40:22AM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > I just noticed that a lot of meant-to-be-configurable things in startkde are
> > hardcoded.
> >
> > For example: Do we really need kxmlrpcd on each and every desktop session?
> > (at least for example I don't need it on my 64mb-ram laptop)
> >
> > How about moving it to kdenetwork and starting it via a kcminit module?
> > (combined with a kconfig check, so that there is at least a way to
> > configure it via kconfig editing (at least ofr 2.0, as a kcontrol option
> > would break translations))
> >
> > IMHO the same applies for khotkeys and kwrited (the latter I like to run
> > when I'm at work, but on my single-user-desktop at home I don't need it)
> >
> > Opinions? Flames? :-)
> >
> > I volunteer to hack three kcminit modules to start those three components
> > after a quick kconfig check, and remove their hardcoded entries from
> > startkde, if people agree :-)
>
> I agree that they should be configurable... but kxmlrpcd should NOT be
> moved to kdenetwork.  It is essentially like dcopserver and really
> needs to be part of a base package to be useful to script developers.

I agree. Matthias Elter just convinced me about kxmlrpcd :-) It's really
important that it is on many desktops, otherwise it is not going to be
used.

At least it is configurable, so I can leave it on on my desktop and turn
it off on my small-64mb-ram laptop, without having to hack startkde
(which would get overwritten upon the next kdebase installation ;-)

Bye,
 Simon