List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Default kwin style sucks (IMHO;-)
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-06 18:18:01

mosfet wrote:
> > IIRC the laptop style (with mods) was chosen because we thought users would
> > like it and would understand it easily. It's not my favourite either (I
> > like the kstep style) but we have to think about the user base here.
>
> The user base seems to prefer something like the old KDE1 style or
> ModernSystem.

I don't think KDE1 is much of a choice now...

Now ModernSystem is a very nice looking style and has several
advantages:

1) It's pretty (nicest looking style, IMO)
2) It's cartoonish look fits our new icons
3) It's original

(although I don't like the resize handle -- the bottom should be more
like the modified laptop's IMO)

BOTTH, the modified laptop style has advantages, too:

1) It's pretty (second nicest looking style, IMO)
2) It's professional look fits well with our new widget style
3) It's original

So to me, it all comes down to this: do we want to emphasize the
cartoony look that our icons convey or the professional look that our
widgets get across?  Whichever choice we make there determines which
window style we should use...

For the record, I'd go with the modified laptop/professional look.
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix