List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kicker's panel icons point to K menu entries
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-09-05 10:09:42

Package: kicker
Version: CVS 05-09-2000

The icons in the panel don't have their own desktop file, they point to
entries in the K menu. This is wrong, because it means that moving
a K menu item (using kmenuedit) breaks the panel icon.

I believe kicker should make copies of the desktop files when a
K menu item is dropped to the panel, and the default setup should
include _copies_ of the desktop files for the default items.
After all, one might want to change the command line options for
a button and not for the corresponding K menu item.

Simpler alternative: kicker could remember only the desktop file name,
and look for it with KService::desktopByName, since desktop file names
are supposed to be unique. This way, moving a file won't break the button.

I can take care of it (whichever solution is chosen) if the kicker developers agree
but don't have time.

http://home.clara.net/faure/, http://www.konqueror.org/