I'm using a P200 MMX with 160MB RAM compiling the latest KOffice from CVS and KDE2 makes its sounds almost without delay. At least I can't say how many milliseconds it could be, but it's definetly way below 1.5 seconds. On Don, 31 Aug 2000, Matthias Ettrich wrote: > Reggie and I tried the sound notifications today, on a dual P3 600 > machine with enough memory. > > The best thing we can say is that it works, sort of. The delay > between making a window unsticky and actually hearing a sound is > something like 1.5 seconds. > > This is not acceptable. > > I browsed a bit in the code. There are several reasons for the > slowness: > > - the problem is *not* dcop that is used to communicate between kwin > and knotify. DCOP easily makes something like 4000 sends *per* > second* on a machine like this. > > - knotify, when receiving a message, first reads in several kconfig > files. That is completely pointless. It should store the config > objects and be signalled any changes from the control center module > to call "repareConfiguration." Charles and Stefan, you both are > listed as authors, can you please fix that? > > - arts, when playing a sound file, doesn't seem to do any caching > whatsoever but prints out lots of debug output instead. > > Still the debug output and the missing caching cannot be it. It's > actually faster to launch a console application to play that sound > (like 'cat'). > > Do we have minor optimization issues here or a conceptual problem? > Until somebody conviences me otherwise, I assume a conceptual > problem. Arts apparently isn't suited for playing sounds. Wasn't that > what the KDE sound server was about? > > > Matthias