List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: bug: desktop-RMB and run-command-as
From:       Falk Brettschneider <gigafalk () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-09-01 6:09:02

Hi,

Harri Porten wrote:

> Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> >
> > Click RMB on the desktop and choose 'Run Command...'. Then type 'kppp'
> > but choose a different user. kppp tries to start for a while but
> > disappears after a few seconds. The same happens for Netscape. So I
> > think it's a bug in the 'Run as...' mechanism there. On the other hand,
> > starting an app from konsole (after 'su otherusername') works fine.
>
> Yes. There's is something wrong. I have a few reports from people who
> observed crashes when running kppp from kicker.
Is kicker that 'Run Command...' on RMB on desktop?

> Unfortunately, I can't
> reproduce it.
I'm going to compile kicker and kdelibs with --enable-debug to reproduce
anything. But unfortunatelly, I haven't installed sendmail and there is
no chance to print/copy'n'paste a backtrace I could get from dr.konqui.
BTW, it would be very useful for me to read the backtrace dr.konqui
generates...

> The only differences I can think of are
>
> * the controlling TTY (see below)
Seems reasonable since on SuSE I got /dev/tty-problems with gdb, as
well.

> * different process group setup
>
> * the notification mechanism
>
> * file descriptors (stdin, stdout, pipes ?)
>
> kedit from a terminal:
>
> porten   24116 15.5  7.1 14372 9156 pts/3    S    02:23   0:00 kedit
>
> kedit from kicker:
>
> porten   24119 27.0  5.6 14600 7180 ?        S    02:23   0:00 kdeinit:
> kedit
>
> Harri.
Thanks anyway,
  F@lk