List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: System Notification, knotify and Arts => unusable?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 17:07:53

> The first two reasons you mentioned can be measured, and for my system it is
> something like 30 ms (which is the path from kwin to dcopserver to knotify
> to artsd, until artsd has initialized an object playing the sample). I did
> acquire this by inserting two gettimeofday printfs, one into kwin and one
> in artsd after loading and starting the wave file.

As I said, it was actually knotify. It created at least two KConfig objects for
eventsrc, which on my system is a 576 lines file. After that, it created
another KConfig object for kwin's eventrc, that contains 1498 lines.
Building dictionaries for that with the not very fast kconfig classes takes
some time, noticable time. When I introduce a KConfig cache in knotify, things
became fast again.

I can't see how your computer could do the same thing in 30ms, though. Can we
bit hardware? Our dual p3 600 with fast scsi discs apparently is much slower
than yours.

> Anyway, anything like 1.5 sec shouldn't happen with knotify/artsd, except
> if you use a sample which starts with 1.2 seconds of silence ;-)

There was no silence, I'm afraid.

I works now, but I really cannot see how this would work that much faster on
other people's machine....

Matthias