List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    System Notification, knotify and Arts => unusable?
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-08-31 14:52:24

Reggie and I tried the sound notifications today, on a dual P3 600 machine with
enough memory.

The best thing we can say is that it works, sort of. The delay between making a
window unsticky and actually hearing a sound is something like 1.5 seconds.

This is not acceptable.

I browsed a bit in the code. There are several reasons for the slowness:

- the problem is *not* dcop that is used to communicate between kwin and
knotify. DCOP easily makes something like 4000 sends *per* second* on a machine
like this.

- knotify, when receiving a message, first reads in several kconfig files. That
is completely pointless. It should store the config objects and be signalled
any changes from the control center module to call "repareConfiguration."
Charles and Stefan, you both are listed as authors, can you please fix that?

- arts, when playing a sound file, doesn't seem to do any caching whatsoever
but prints out lots of debug output instead.

Still the debug output and the missing caching cannot be it. It's actually
faster to launch a console application to play that sound (like 'cat').

Do we have minor optimization issues here or a conceptual problem? Until
somebody conviences me otherwise, I assume a conceptual problem. Arts
apparently isn't suited for playing sounds. Wasn't that what the KDE sound
server was about?

Matthias