List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: mpeglib cdrom patch....
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2000-08-30 20:13:39

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:17:18AM -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 01:25:22PM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > >Here's a small patch to correct the including of the Linux specific bits
> > >on BSDs that I'd like to commit....
> >
> > mpeglib is not build on *BSD anyway, but you can commit
> > the patch.
>
> With that, it does.
>

>Actually, it *DOES* build if you correctly don't include the Linux
>specific bits.  And a quick patch to configure.in.in should work as
>well.  See attached patch.  It compiles and works as well as can be
>expected.  Except that artsplug doesn't compile at all for me.  See other
>attachment.

I dont like the idea to enable the BSD port. And as I understand
the patch it enables all other platforms as well (HP,..)
which I really not want.

BSD has a user level thread implementation.
FreeBSD 4.0 has kernel level threads but it lacks some
calls like pthread_cancel (?) At least it was a year ago.
(They are not used by mpeglib, but for me it seems the
implementation of threads is still experimental)

FreeBSD 3.3 has no kernel level threads
and I already know that the sound on these 3.3 is very choppy.

Then the sound drivers on OpenBSD? These are voxware drivers,
very old and I know that these have problems with threads.

No, Im against this. Maybe for KDE 2.1.
But what may be an option is to pass a command line switch, like
--enable-mpeglib as an override but not as default.

regards,

Martin