List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: reporting bugs is way to easy
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-08-30 15:12:19

Dirk Mueller wrote:

> On Mit, 30 Aug 2000, Andreas Pour wrote:
>
> >   (1)  already discussed, do not permit a backtrace to be sent if there
> > are no debugging symbols.  OTOH, non-crash reports (like
> > http://my.favorite.site/ does not render properly) should still be
> > allowed.
>
> sure, that's what we're talking about.
>
> >   (2)  harder to implement, get a group of volunteer testers together.
> > Get 1-2 people responsible for each app and they go through the reports
> > for these apps.  They can filter these as non-useful, non-reproduceable,
> > already fixed or requires developer attention.
>
> Sure, we need to integrate volunteers better but I personally don't like
> when a "non-programme" closes such bugreports unless they're clearly
> duplicates. I'm afraid that they will close bug reports too early because
> they don't know the internals etc.

Good point, but I think this can be dealt with.  The idea would be that
they don't have to close anything if there is no "overload" (i.e.,
outstanding bug reports exceed a threshold).  The developer could define
the "overload" point -- which means the developer is not having enough
time to look at the bug reports.  The options then are (1) the bug
reports are completely ignore, or (2) the developer gets help in finding
the "real" bug reports.

If you think there are many bug reports now, wait till distributions
start shipping KDE 2.  You will have to work full-time just to read the
bug reports ;-) -- and many of them will be a distribution's fault
(e.g., why does SSL not work -- when the answer is, the distribution did
not ship SSL b/c of export problems).

Ciao,

Andreas