List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: selecting files in konqueror
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-08-29 19:33:35

At 23:15 28/08/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>David Faure wrote:
>>
>> [lots of good stuff]
>> Hmm, this discussion starts to be kde-look-like...
>There are 3 systems:
>Windows single-click-system:
>  activation      - single click
>  selection       - resting the mouse
>  multi-selection - resting the mouse + mode key (Ctrl or Shift)
>
>Windows double-click-system:
>  activation      - double click
>  selection       - single click
>  multi-selection - single click + mode key (Ctrl or Shift)
>
>KDE2 uses:
...by default...
>  activation      - single click
Can be changed to "resting the mouse".
>  selection       - single click + mode key (Ctrl)
>  multi-selection - single click + mode keys (Ctrl+Shift)

I think the way this summary is written is exactly the problem.
Since there's no particular reason to select a single file, there
is no such thing as "selection". To do _anything_ with a file, you
can do it directly, no need to select it first. So 'selection' above
is only 'beginning of multi-selection'. In which case, it doesn't
look as braindead as the analysis above tries to show it ;)

And multi-selection is Ctrl -and/or- Shift, just like under Windows.

>I summarize,
>1.) KDE2 needs additional keys most often which I judge as complicated.
>;(
Not if you remove the 'selection' line...

>2.) double-click system is historically used by trained users but not
>intuitive for novices (shouldn't be recommented)
Yes.
>3.) single-click system uses for each action exactly one click less than
>the double-click system
Yes.
>4.) single-click-system uses the least clicks of all (so it's the
>easiest one for navigating)
Yes. But Windows's single-click implementation, which auto-selects
files, is annoying.

>5.) selection on KDE2 is more complicated than on both Windows
>click-systems
No, it's exactly the same, if you only do multi-selection.
Single file selection is useless, so better abstain from doing it.

>Please, think about this but I give up now since I've got the feeling
>you have a fixed opinion and I cannot convince you. :)
I'm happy to discuss this, but I'm not convinced yet, indeed :-)

David.