List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: #include <cstdlib> et al. (was Re: kdeadmin/ksysv) (fwd)
From:       Michael Matz <matz () ifh ! de>
Date:       2000-08-29 14:52:51

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Peter Putzer wrote:
> > > cstdlib is the canonical name...
> >
> > There were numerous discussions on kde-cvs, kde-core-devel and even
> > kde-devel on that topic ;)
>
> OK, now I've found some on kde-devel.
>
> But the only person advocating (and doing the changes) has been Waldo,

And me, if it makes a difference, and all IRIX users.

> Either those persons should fix their compiler,

Not an option.

> use another compiler or

Not (everytime) an easy option.

> (as a last resort) a "#ifdef __IRIX" (or whatever) should be added.

This is even more ugly than a simple <stdlib.h> whichs works on any known
machine.

> We should NOT change our code to be non-compliant just for one fucking
> compiler :(

While I don't see the sense in a compiler being able to fuck, there are
anyway other problems with strict ISO conformance than only those header
files, e.g. the actual _use_ of functions defined therein (the
std:: issue), and that g++'s includes simply are not ISO conformant
anyway. It might be a nice experience to try to compile with HP's
aCC, as thats a rather conforming compiler.

So, unless we change our code requirement to be draconian ISO conformant
(which rules out gcc as a compiler btw.), I vote for making the code
compilable, runnable and readable on as many platforms as possible, even
with work-around and even when it means that the source now conforms even
less to a standard which is implemented by no compiler in use.

If there ever comes a time, where we are prepared to deal with std::, and
there are more conforming compilers, and there are problems with stdio.h,
which do not exist with cstdio, then we simply can sed through all files.
I don't understand all the emotion which is generated by this change.

(For this special includes problem I considered to install cX if not
provided by the compiler together with kdelibs, but then Waldo already has
changed all cX to X.h, so ... ;) )

Ciao,
Michael.